[Vision2020] Sen Schroeder

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Feb 18 05:46:56 PST 2009

Garrett -

Don't forget about Wal-Mart's intention of building a supercenter in
Pullman.

> Donovan,
>
> Do you really think there is plenty of locally produced food and water
here, but not
plenty of retail shopping, selling primarily foreign goods? I come to the
opposite
conclusion.

> It doesn't seem as productive or sustainable putting more faith on
service or retail jobs
than on value added ones, such as farming, seemingly a better use of
resources. The reason
water isn't used to irrigate farm land around here is because water is
perceived to be
limited.

> There are other ways to create jobs in our region than building a credit
dependent
megamall, the essence of which has now been exposed as highly dependent on
government
subsidies.

> I'm not sure why you think Hawkins will be more user friendly than the
PEM, probably
because I'm too cynical and see this predatory development has hawk in its
name for a
reason...

> gc

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman