[Vision2020] Guantanamo Bay

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Mon Feb 9 22:35:07 PST 2009

I remember, when I was still living in Canada, reading about how very
annoyed the Americans were when that dirty Communist Fidel Castro
closed the whorehouses outside Guantanamo Naval Base.

Ralph

Guantanamo Bay

brentbradberry at netscape.net brentbradberry at netscape.net
Mon Feb 9 13:26:52 PST 2009
?

? Listers;?

? Guantanamo Bay has had an unsavory reputation for many years - even?

? before the Cuban revolution. The U.S. leased it in 1903, and in 1934?

? the lease was renewed "in perpetuity" until both parties agree to?

? terminate it. The U.S. Navy has used it for a long time for periodic?

? refresher training - Atlantic Fleet ships spend a few days or weeks?

? operating out of Gitmo practicing gunnery, damage control, etc.?

? Before the Cuban revolution in 1959, sailors could go off base on?

? liberty. I was there in the 60s and 70s when liberty (shore-leave)?

? meant staying on base. As I recall, it wasn't that bad. There was a?

? golf course, ball diamonds, swimming, and cheap beer at the club. At?

? least we could stretch our legs. I learned this song in the early?

? 60s - obviously it refers to pre-revolution days. WARNING - this is?

? a sailors' song. Naturally, it's raunchy and FOR MATURE AUDIENCES
ONLY.?

[snip]