[Vision2020] water sale bill

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 9 12:05:28 PST 2009

On Monday 09 February 2009 10:34:03 Kai Eiselein, Editor wrote:
<snip>
> Looking at it, the mall "may" be a good idea. I'll tell you why:
> Because we have raised a couple of generations of "Mall Rats", a mall with
> the shops that today's kids expect may very well be a draw for prospective
> to students to both universities. That translates into outside $ flowing
> into the communities and that is a good thing.
<snip>

It is wonderful to read that the recent years' burgeoning market in youth
fantasy literature has lead to, in older adults, such wonderfully creative,
if self-serving, conclusions that the Greater Palouse Metropolitan Shopping
Area will become such a high-demand shopping destination that university
students from around the country will actually make a local school their
choice because of the local shopping characteristics.

Admittedly, I have not done any economic research on this question, but of all
the factors that students and their parents take into consideration when
choosing a college, I suspect that the strength of local shopping is not high
on the list. The last time I looked at US News and World Report's 2009
Edition of America's Best Colleges, I am quite sure I did not see a column
inside labeled Shopaholic Satisfaction Index, SSI, the higher value of which
indicated a better educational value at the associated institution.

Economic development is a good thing, but causal delusions are detrimental.

Ken