[Vision2020] [Bulk] water sale bill

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 13:47:19 PST 2009

Bill London wrote:
> Paul-
> regarding the aquifer issue: I believe Moscow's agreement to supply
> water (and sewage, remember that) facilitated the
> development...Hawkins faced some very serious legal issues about
> obtaining water rights that Moscow's gift of water made irrelevant.
> regarding the econ dev issue: The dream that the Hawkins supermall
> will encourage retail in Moscow is a fallacy.  Moscow retail will
> suffer, stores will close taking property and sales taxes away from
> Idaho.
>
> BL

How can you be so sure?  If the Hawkins development was going up on the
opposite side of Pullman from us, I could see it.  However, for all
intents and purposes, it's an extension of the sales corridor that
starts at Jack In The Box or so and extends out to Applebees.  This
supermall is likely to bring in customers from farther away then
currently come here.  It will be like Walmart all over again.  I can
shop at Walmart ten times in a row, and not run into anyone I
recognize.  Some of the people drawn to a specific store in the
supermall will also have other buying needs that they can take care of
just down the street.  You also have the sales tax difference to contend
with.  Buying the same item at the supermall can be more expensive than
buying it from a store a block away.  Savvy customers buying large items
will know this.

Stores in the area should be looking at this as an opportunity, not a
disaster.  Put up some damn signs farther down the highway.  Advertise
more in the surrounding area.  Have sales on hot items to draw some of
that crowd into your store.

Paul