[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam 5.86] BE OUTSIDE!

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Feb 2 11:49:44 PST 2009

Roger Falen stated:

"I am unaware that the Boy Scouts receive any money from the government.
There are strings attached to accepting money from the government. It is
up to the organization whether they want to accept those strings."

Or they can merely open a savings and loan bank, and apply for bailout
money.

Question for Darrell Keim:  Do they have an achievement badge for that,
Darrell?

Seeya round town, Moscow.

> Donovan
> I am unaware that the Boy Scouts receive any money from the government.
There are strings
attached to accepting money from the government. It is up to the
organization whether they
want to accept those strings. It is possible that the Boy Scouts may
receive some federal
grants for specific purposes. I don't known whether they have done so  or
not. If they do,
this is still different from direct support. Under your reasoning the
government could
dictate the rules for all privatee organizations, religious or otherwise.
Any privat
organization should be able to set what ever rules they want, whether the
general public
agrees or not. People are free not to join. The only exception would be if
any of their
rules are criminal.
> Roger
lfalen
lfalen at turbonet.com
> Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Fw: [Spam 5.86] BE OUTSIDE!
>
> > Roger,
> >
> > I disagree that the government cannot impose rules on organizations
within its boarders,
especially ones that deal with children, for three major reasons.

> > First, it is an organization that is tax exempt and uses taxpayer
dollars. It is unfair
to force people to pay for an organization that discriminates against them
and/or their
children.

> > Second, young men are very impressionable and are often times
struggling with their
sexual identities. Teaching children they are lesser persons because of
their sexual
feelings can lead to depression, mental illness, and even suicide.

> > Finally, it teaches young men that discrimination against homosexuals
is alright. This
is going to make it difficult for them to get along with others in the
work place, social
settings, and it is going to make the lives of men and women that have to
work with them
more difficult.

> > If this was an organization of adults, I might agree with you Roger,
provided we took
away all tax support. But we are dealing with children and teens, and that
changes the
rules as to what society can allow and not allow to happen to the children
that are
included and excluded from societal norms and the reasons why
they are excluded and
included.

> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Donovan

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman