[Vision2020] "Deep Solar Minimum" NASA: was: 79 Skeptic Arguments at Skepticalscience.com Re: FBI Investigates Death Threats Against Climate Scientists

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 10:53:52 PST 2009

The "Nature" journal science article below asserts regarding solar forcing
"...that brightening of the Sun is unlikely to have had a significant
influence on global warming since the seventeenth century."  This conclusion
has been subjected to rigorous scientific peer review, and the dominant role
of human impacts (CO2 emissions etc.) forcing current climate warming (past
12 years) is widely accepted in the climate science community.

Solar forcing has some contemporary impact on climate change, and in fact
may be contributing to a slight cooling of the climate, offsetting warming
human impacts, given the "deep solar minimum," the "12 year low in solar
'irradiance'" we are currently in, to quote NASA.  Even with this solar
minimum, 2009 Jan. through Oct. saw global average temperatures at the fifth
warmest on record, according to the National Climate Data Center:

Deep Solar Minimum

*A 12-year low in solar "irradiance": *

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/01apr_deepsolarminimum.htm
--------------------
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/?report=global

*Global land and ocean annual surface temperatures through October are the
fifth warmest on record, at 0.56 °C (1.01 °F) above the long-term average.*
-----------------------
I continue...

*Thus your conclusion that TSI (solar irradiance) and CO2 "may both play a
part in the warming" "...that neither one is clearly the driving force on
it's own." is, in my opinion, obscurantist obfuscation of the facts
(especially given we are in a "deep solar minimum," which should cause
cooling) regarding the causes of the clear warming trend of the past 12
years, which have seen the warmest ten years on record for global average
surface atmospheric temperatures since the late 1800s, and a record decline
in Arctic sea ice, among numerous other global changes that indicate a
warming climate:*

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v443/n7108/abs/nature05072.html
  Variations in solar luminosity and their effect on the Earth's climate

P. Foukal1<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v443/n7108/abs/nature05072.html#a1>,
C. Fröhlich2<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v443/n7108/abs/nature05072.html#a2>,
H. Spruit3<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v443/n7108/abs/nature05072.html#a3>and
T. M. L. Wigley
4 <http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v443/n7108/abs/nature05072.html#a4>
Top of page<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v443/n7108/abs/nature05072.html#top>
Abstract

Variations in the Sun's total energy output (luminosity) are caused by
changing dark (sunspot) and bright structures on the solar disk during the
11-year sunspot cycle. The variations measured from spacecraft since 1978
are too small to have contributed appreciably to accelerated global warming
over the past 30 years. In this Review, we show that detailed analysis of
these small output variations has greatly advanced our understanding of
solar luminosity change, and this new understanding indicates that
brightening of the Sun is unlikely to have had a significant influence on
global warming since the seventeenth century. Additional climate forcing by
changes in the Sun's output of ultraviolet light, and of magnetized plasmas,
cannot be ruled out. The suggested mechanisms are, however, too complex to
evaluate meaningfully at present.
--------------------------------
I continue...

*Also, there are CO2 measurements from ice core sample air trapped in
bubbles going back 800,000 years, according to the study from "Nature"
journal below.  So while direct atmospheric CO2 measurements are only
decades old, the ice core CO2 data is reliable for hundreds of thousands of
years:*

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v453/n7193/full/nature06949.html

*Nature* *453*, 379-382 (15 May 2008) | doi:10.1038/nature06949; Received 12
October 2007; Accepted 17 March 2008

High-resolution carbon dioxide concentration record 650,000–800,000 years
before present
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett