[Vision2020] World's Highest Glacier is Set to Melt Into History

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 02:10:49 PST 2009

If the global temperature data (GISS, NCDC, HadCRUT, JMA, and other data
sets) that many climate scientists are confident is reliable that indicates
a statistically significant long term global warming trend since the 1800s
is in fact questionable, then we do not have sufficient reason to believe
that the Earth is warming as a long term trend, from any cause, based on the
temperature data.  The climate may be undergoing random short term
variations.

In a couple of decades the Arctic, Greenland and mountain glaciers may
recover, the shift of species in response to "climate change" may return to
their previous habitat ranges, the increase in extreme precipitation events
will lessen, droughts may decrease, ocean level rise may halt, and so
forth... Of course, given the empirical facts of global ice mass loss, the
shift of species habitat ranges, ocean level rise, and the increase in
extreme precipitation events as atmospheric moisture content increases, an
argument for a warming climate can be made independent of temperature
records, though again the question of whether this is a longer term trend
remains.

But I think those who argue for a high degree of uncertainty in climate
science are in a bit of a quandary when they on the one hand insist that the
state of climate science has too many unknowns and variables, that the
climate system is too chaotic, to make reliable long term scientific
predictions regarding human impacts, then claim that indeed the Earth is
warming as a long term trend, but in response to mostly natural variables,
such as solar changes, or coming out of the last ice age in part due to a
Milankovitch cycle trend.

To demonstrate that natural variables are altering climate to a warmer state
as a long term trend involves answering some of the same skeptical arguments
that are used to shed doubt on the claim that human activity is altering
climate as a long term trend.

If climate science is as uncertain as many of the skeptics of anthropogenic
warming claim, the 1700 UK scientists who signed the following release from
the MET Office are incompetent.  I wrote incompetent rather than frauds
because it is too fantastic to truly believe they are involved in some kind
of deliberate conspiracy.  If they are wrong, it is because they are making
scientific mistakes:
:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/news/latest/uk-science-statement.html
 Statement from the UK science community

We, members of the UK science community, have the utmost confidence in the
observational evidence for global warming and the scientific basis for
concluding that it is due primarily to human activities. The evidence and
the science are deep and extensive. They come from decades of painstaking
and meticulous research, by many thousands of scientists across the world
who adhere to the highest levels of professional integrity. That research
has been subject to peer review and publication, providing traceability of
the evidence and support for the scientific method.

The science of climate change draws on fundamental research from an
increasing number of disciplines, many of which are represented here. As
professional scientists, from students to senior professors, we uphold the
findings of the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report, which concludes that ‘Warming
of the climate system is unequivocal’ and that ‘Most of the observed
increase in global average temperatures since the mid-20th century is very
likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas
concentrations’.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett