[Vision2020] Hmmm

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 09:17:15 PST 2009

Personally, I prefer the longer link.  Shortened links have the
potential to Do Bad Things; either to send you to joke sites or to send
you to sites that have malware on them.  One of the forums I read is
famous for having had a link on it in somebody's comment that sent
people to a special FBI web page with the proper data in the url to
indicate that the person clicking the link was confessing to having
child porn on their computer.

One other problem with url shortening sites like tiny.url is the problem
of what happens to all of your links you are using when they go out of
business?

Line-wrapped urls are annoying, but you can cut & paste the appropriate
parts to get where you need to go.  Email applications could also handle
this better if some more effort was put into it.

I also have the same criticisms of sites that have pages that are
obfuscated, such as the U of I's site.  A lot of the pages are of the
form ".../default.aspx&pid=nnnnn".  This is almost as dangerous, if you
have any reason to believe that the site might have malware on it
somewhere.

Now, if websites used shorter, simpler, readable urls instead of
obfuscated ones, then we'd have a nice solution to the problem.

Paul