[Vision2020] Phil Jones Will "Stand Aside" as Director of Climatic Research Unit for Independent Review

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 03:27:55 PST 2009

Is "stand aside" a euphemism for "resign" or "fired?"  Or after the
independent review, might he return to his previous position?  I suspect
not.  No doubt those who think CRU is corrupt or scientifically incompetent
will claim this development supports their position.  Given scientist Phil
Jones has become a major focus of attacks against CRU, especially since the
hacking of their e-mails, regardless of the truth regarding his integrity or
scientific competence, his presence as director would create ongoing public
relations problems:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/comm/media/press/2009/nov/homepagenews/CRUupdate
 CRU Update 1 December

Professor Phil Jones has today announced that he will stand aside as
Director of the Climatic Research Unit until the completion of an
independent Review resulting from allegations following the hacking and
publication of emails from the Unit.

Professor Jones said: "What is most important is that CRU continues its
world leading research with as little interruption and diversion as
possible.  After a good deal of consideration I have decided that the best
way to achieve this is by stepping aside from the Director's role during the
course of the independent review and am grateful to the University for
agreeing to this.  The Review process will have my full  support."

Vice-Chancellor Professor Edward Acton said: "I have accepted Professor
Jones's offer to stand aside during this period. It is an important step to
ensure that CRU can continue to operate normally and the independent review
can conduct its work into the allegations.

“We will announce details of the Independent Review, including its terms of
reference, timescale and the chair, within days. I am delighted that
Professor Peter Liss, FRS, CBE, will become acting director.”