[Vision2020] Mom: GI in Iraq made 2 calls telling of abuse

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:01:45 PDT 2009

Bear stated:

"Obviously, you got out well before the new, cover your ass policy in
the modern army."

It is not a matter of CYA, Bear.  It is simply soldiers looking out for soldiers.  If you are aware of abuse among soldiers, you report it.

If that abuse occurs within your unit, you report it to the first sergeant.

If that abuse occurs within your platoon, you report it to your platoon sergeant.

If that abuse occurs within your platoon and you ARE the platoon sergeant, you put an end to that abuse and you ensure, with absolute certainty, that it never happens again.

FYI, Bear.  CYA is as old as the Army.  It is not new.  At times as a platoon sergeant, I found it necessary to cover my own rear-end, but NEVER at the cost of another soldier.  I would have NEVER placed a soldier in jeopardy for my own personal gain.  I have placed my stripes on the Company Commander's desk (while I was a squad leader) and on the Battalion Commander's desk (while I was a platoon sergeant) so often that the Battalion CSM set his calendar by it ("Hey, it's the 15th, where is Sergeant Hansen?").  I never lost a stripe and the only soldier I lost in my platoon was my gunner who was specifically requested by the Battalion Commander to be his gunner.

I retired on July 15th 1989, less than 18 months before Desert Storm.  So, the Army I left wasn't any different than the one that went to Kuwait.

Enough said.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go to work."

- Roy Zimmerman