[Vision2020] Walt Minnick

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 27 12:16:08 PDT 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 06:52:52 Rosemary wrote:
> Good Morning Ken,

Good Day Rose:

> I cheerfully stand by the remarks I made last night.

Well, that's great! No waffling for breakfast or flip-flopping of mystery meat
for lunch here!

> A cursory review of the history of Dixiecrats and Boll Weevils reveals that
> jackass is a kindly description - and as card-carrying Blue Dog he is, in
> fact, like it or not, an heir of that peculiar ideology.

I think more than one person in the room last night may not have been as well
read as you may be on the kindliness of the word jackass as an adjective for
blue dog preferences.

> You apparently are comfortable with the Rep. Minnick's voting record - I'm
> not. He is, in his own words a Democrat by default.
<snip>

Well, the fact of the matter is that I am not, personally, particularly
comfortable with the policies Congressman Minnick is proposing. But that's
hardly news. No one should be comfortable with the economic realities this
country faces.

Considering the nation's ever-more-debt-ridden financial position, likely
economic events in the next few months (the results of the stimulus spending
begin to kick in, and interest rates rise a bit), and the likely responses of
major US overseas creditors for more fiscal responsibility from the US
Congress, the nation must control the stability of the dollar as the world
economy's reserve currency. Maintaining this stability will be accomplished
through reducing the rate of growth of federal indebtedness, and raising
revenues for the purpose of meeting the rising interest payments our national
debt will require as interest rates rise. Concurrently, shifts in the mixture
of, and the rates of, federal expenditures will be necessary to better
stimulate the economy, to improve the social returns on our tax investments,
and to maintain the confidence of our foreign creditors in the stability of
our economic management. Their confidence is critical to our federal
liquidity, and thus to what will be a slow, and I hope, steady, economic
recovery.

As most of the people at the 1912 Center last night, I prefer a single payor
federal health care system because it makes fiscal, administrative, and
practical sense. However, the national political realities at the moment are
such that the best of the systemic alternatives, the single payor model, will
not be approved any time really soon. So, those of us who prefer that system
are going to have to find ways to minimize the ongoing damages from the
current system by modifying it toward improvement. That course of action is
what I understand Congressman Minnick to favor, even though it will be more
costly, more time consuming, and more generally unsatisfactory than trying to
go to a preferable, but politically unfeasible, alternative.

> Mr. Minnick will be a one term Charlie.  He has lost liberal Democratic
> support, the Republicans will run a sane (unlike Bill Sali) candidate
> against him and that will be that.  And that political reality slap
> couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

You may be correct in this assessment. However, as Starfleet Academy Cadet
James Tiberius Kirk figured out, there are, sometimes, ways to defeat an exam
that is designed to fail all of its examinees. The challenge for Idaho
Democrats, whether liberal or practical, is to realize that electing a Blue
Dog Democrat is preferable to electing another of the usual Idaho
Republicans, and to work together to find ways to accomplish that goal. Like
the young cadet Kirk, we must find ways to turn the election exam to our
benefit, and carry out strategies and tactics to accomplish that end. Kirk
passed his exam only on his third try. Democrats should not give up too soon.

Ken