[Vision2020] Walt Minnick

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 27 01:41:10 PDT 2009

Ahhh . . . but here's the beauty, Rose:  I believe Congressman Minnick did a
far better job of actually answering your question than he did probably any
other question tonight, so consider yourself lucky  J  I find myself
wondering if my question had included a distant pejorative, would he have
actually answered the question I asked?

And, you do have to give the guy some credit for having the courage to
actually appear in a public forum rather than only to select groups like
Crapo did here.   What a coward!  No wonder his views are so terrible
skewed!

Personally, I appreciated the opportunity to listen to Minnick tonight, and
thanks to the Latah County Democrats for hosting!

I agree with your assessment that Minnick failed to actually answer
many/most the questions asked, which was a huge disappointment.  While I've
learned to expect that from the GOP, I expect better from the Dems.

I was also disappointed that while Minnick visibly bristled at some of the
tough questions, he didn't hesitate to let some of the really whack-a-doodle
comments stand unchallenged or uncorrected.  Point in fact:  the nutjob who
lied about having received a letter from Social Security saying they'd be
broke by something like 2040.  I've not gotten any such letter from the SSA
- has anyone here?!  If so, please share with all of us!  Of course, I have
seen the chain email being sent around preying on fear, which is where the
lie originated.  Minnick had the opportunity to correct that blatant lie -
or get the woman some help with reality.  He didn't do either.

I was also quite shocked, given that a major Minnick selling point was his
success as a businessman, he tried to minimize the profits of health
insurance companies.  While I dispute his numbers,  he's not a very astute
businessman if he doesn't realize that in addition to premiums collected,
there are administrative fees paid by employers to carriers as well as
profits built into employer-based contracts.  Given Minnick's acknowledgment
of the importance of health care reform, his apparent ignorance of these
facts was disheartening . . . or disingenuous.

He's also completely out of touch with the realities of health care if he
thinks making it easier for insurance companies to sell around the nation is
going to decrease consumer health costs.  For the love of God, this country
already has problems with carriers marketing to employers in areas where
they have inadequate provider networks, which INCREASES health care costs
for consumers.  How he thinks increasing that problem is going to decrease
health care costs defies reason . . .

Of course, I suppose it's pretty easy to be irrational when one doesn't have
to deal with the realities of dishonest and unethical health insurance
carriers.

For those wondering, my question was this:

My question concerns health care reform and your opposition to a public
option.  It's well-recognized that the 21% or so of Americans living in
non-metropolitan parts of the country have unique challenges with respect to
affordable health insurance.  For instance, perhaps you're aware that the
cost for a University of Idaho employee to provide basic PPO health coverage
for her family is over two-and-a-half more than it costs a Boise State
University employee for better coverage.

If that's the best deal a large employer like the UI can offer in this part
of the state, I'd like you to explain how you think there can be meaningful
reform for the uninsured, the self-insured, and the small business owners &
employees absent a public option that will bring real competition rather
than more back room deals?

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed by Minnick's non-answer to the question
actually asked.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2009 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****