[Vision2020] Fw: UI Considers Making Freshmen Live on Campus

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Thu Aug 20 12:26:03 PDT 2009

With all respect to Ken and to the halcyon days of Ernie Hartung, true
believer in the role of the university and its liberal arts element, I think
these ideas about living on campus, maybe even without a car, are about
making the educational experience more relevant for young people, as they
put their toes in the academic waters for the first time. I also think it is
easier to create a community among students if there is some proximity and
some gentle help available (through residence hall advisers and even
in-house faculty who sometimes live in residence halls at some institutions.
I am reminded of my English university days and even my Reed College days
back in the year zero when dinosaurs were a prominent feature of
Eastmoreland in Portland...

Finances are part of it but cannot be the prime justification.

All the best,

Linda

PS: I haven't posted for so long, I forgot how to do it! Thanks, Tom, for
reminding me!