[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam] New HHS head takes on swine flu

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Wed Apr 29 11:51:03 PDT 2009

-----Original message-----

From: "The Scientist" support at strongmail.the-scientist.com
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:51:20 -0700
To: lfalen at turbonet.com
Subject: [Spam] New HHS head takes on swine flu

      If you're having trouble viewing this message please visit:
http://www.the-scientist.com/daily/2009/04/29/

               April 29, 2009

New HHS head takes on swine flu

As newly-confirmed Sebelius hits the ground running, researchers
continue to work on the genetic picture of the virus

By Bob Grant

Along came a (sadistic) spider

A strange sexual strategy never before seen in arachnids may shed
light on how different mating systems evolve

By Elie Dolgin

Supersize my pipeline

Will Exelixis's novel approach pay off in the current economic
climate?

By Edyta Zielinska

Conflicts of interest -- now we're serious

An Institute of Medicine report lays out bold recommendations for
combating financial conflicts of interest among doctors and
researchers

By The Scientist Community

Profile: Fired up

Besides hobnobbing with musical greats as a guitarist, Len Kaczmarek
has fine-tuned the picture of how phosphorylation alters neurons'
electrical properties

By Karen Hopkin

Stem cell rat race

What's so hard about making transgenic rats?

By Elie Dolgin

Got videos? Send them to us!

We want your submissions for our first The Scientist Video Awards

By The Scientist Staff

Can biotech tackle swine flu?

One company says its vaccine development approach using virus-like
particles is faster than traditional methods

By Bob Grant

Meteor didn't do in the dinos

An asteroid impact often blamed for dinosaur extinction was too tame
to even hurt a protist, researchers say

By Elie Dolgin

Texas to sue over biolab site

The chosen site for a planned high security biodefense research lab
was politically motivated and ignores danger of frequent tornadoes,
group says

By Alla Katsnelson

The healing arts

The NIH has been using art therapy since the 1950s, but researchers
are only now studying its effectiveness

By Tia Ghose

Following the flock

Researchers have used traces of retrovirus DNA to map ancient sheep
migration across Asia, Europe, and Africa

By Tia Ghose

Science doesn't believe in MAGIC

The journal retracts a 2005 paper that made false claims regarding a
drug target detection technology

By Elie Dolgin

Video: Damage by the pine beetle

All across North America, tiny pine bark beetles are killing trees.
Click here for a short video describing how mountain pine beetles can
destroy trees, a process researchers have a new plan to stop, which we
present in our April issue.

         CAREERS
            Visit The Scientist Careers for the latest jobs in the
life sciences. Post your resume, get new jobs delivered via e-mail and
more. Log on today and take the next step in your career journey.

  MAILING LIST INFORMATION          If you want to continue to receive
these e-mails, you need do nothing. We welcome new members to our
contents alert mailing list and ask you to forward this message to any
colleagues who might be interested.
If you no longer wish to receive The Scientist Daily E-mail,   click
here to unsubscribe or, alternatively, log in to the My Scientist
section of the website and edit your e-mail preferences.