[Vision2020] UI Waste & Arrogance

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 29 11:19:03 PDT 2009

Visionaries:

I'm wondering what folks thought of the 3/4 page full color ad the UI ran on
page B2 in the Sunday Spokesman Review?

My first thought was that it seemed incredibly thoughtless to spend the
money to run such an ad given the financial condition at the UI where people
are scared to death about their jobs and pay cuts that will make life very
difficult for more than a few loyal UI employees.  Good grief -- get news
coverage (the UI hiring a new president is definitely news, although it's
something we've become accustomed to hearing over the years)!

Second thought was that the text of the ad was just plain offensive.  In
bold all caps:  "I AM DR. DUANE NELLIS. I AM THE UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO"?!?!
The only reason he even came to the UI is because he got a special deal due
to pressure by a special interest group . . . he certainly wasn't willing to
BE the UI without it.  Frankly, the whole special deal smacks of the
offensive Wall Street practices that generated so much animosity.

Anyway, it seems that the ad was a real morale-buster for those facing pay
cuts and lost jobs, which makes me wonder about the wisdom of those calling
the shots at the upper levels of the UI.  Quite a few people I've chatted
with were surprised to learn that a newcomer -- rather than those who have
spent their careers serving the mission of the university -- IS THE
UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO.

It was a great picture, though, and I sure hope Dr. Nellis will be the kind
of magician that warrants the special hiring treatment he received.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2009 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****