[Vision2020] Logical paradoxes

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Apr 26 16:55:21 PDT 2009

I just happened to run across this little tidbit from something that
proclaims itself as MOSCOW EDUCATION (IDAHO); EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH,
STATISTICS, REPORTS, AND COMMENTARY FROM MOSCOW, IDAHO, by some-one
who calls himself Right-Mind.

In the Moscow Pullman Daily News:

There is only one absolute truth: "There is no 'absolute truth.' "
Lovers of wisdom have known this for centuries.

—Ralph Nielsen, Moscow

Maybe that statement is embraced by Nielsen; but he would fail 8th
grade logic for making such an illogical statement.

*****

It would seem that Mr. Right-Mind has never heard of a logical
paradox. As a matter of fact, I heard this from a graduate of Gonzaga
University, who said he has never forgotten this humbling fact that
was taught by his philosophy professor at Gonzaga.

We can even find a logical paradox in the Bible, "It was one of them,
their very own prophet, who said, "Cretans are always liars..." That
testimony is true" (Titus 1:12). As Right-Mind would say, "Maybe that
statement is embraced by Paul, in his letter to Titus; but he would
fail 8th grade logic for making such an illogical statement."

Ralph Nielsen