[Vision2020] Microsoft Windows News

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 25 21:40:35 PDT 2009

LOL -- we're probably going to bore others . . .

I don't copy lots of files, so I've not had the experience you've had.  I
agree about slower installations, but perhaps that slower install process is
what's made things much more stable.  When I've had installation glitches in
Vista, all it's done is screw up the application, not Windows, while in XP,
glitches in ap installs also had the annoying & disturbing ability to mess
with the OS.

And, for me, the ability to easily find out the root cause of any errors in
Vista trumps the minor annoyances -- and I agree they are there -- I've
experienced.  I cannot tell you how much time I've *not* spent "maintaining"
Vista whereas XP Pro was nothing but constant problems for me.  OTOH, I got
very proficient at troubleshooting with XP Pro -- enough that I was teaching
Dell tech support folks.

You wrote:
"Vista exists in a ridiculous number of versions, while somehow Mac OS X
exists in one."

I absolutely agree!

You also wrote:
"Microsoft didn't even provide a 64-bit version of their own anti-virus
software"

The 32-bit version was a piece of crap (IMHO), so you didn't lose anything
there  :-)

You also wrote:
"Your mileage apparently varies.  ;-)"

For once, thank goodness!  I've moved up through the various versions of
Windows, and while XP Pro was a definite improvement over earlier versions,
it also cost me a lot of time with its instability.  While I agree with you
about the financial costs of Vista, the time I've saved with the increased
stability and vastly decreased lost productive time has been very good for
me . . . and for my stress level  :-)

But, I'm definitely not a gamer at all, and I know that my friends who are
gamers haven't been happy campers with Vista.  Do you think that will be
better with Windows 7?

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.