[Vision2020] "Harsh" Interrogations -As ye sow, so shall you

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 22:10:34 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:13 PM, g. crabtree <jampot at roadrunner.com> wrote:

>  With your very first sentence you once again mischaracterize what it was
> I said. I did not concede that the things you mention took place. Just
> because you've read something in the huffington post and/or the new york
> times and regurgitate it here doesn't make it a verified fact. You don't
> know for certain, you were not there, you are electing to take someone at
> there word. Show me evidence and I'll concede that those events occurred
> and not before.

Typical. I reasonably thought you were conceding these things because they
happen to be easily verifiable. So I'm going to reach for the primary
sources again. Note that I am being conservative in my claims, here, because
you will not accept the validity of any mainstream journalism. Did I mention
that this is insane? So here we go:

"Abuses occurred." See the Taguba Report. Pick a page. You can find it here:

http://news.findlaw.com/nytimes/docs/iraq/tagubarpt.html

Hypo and hyperthermia, stress positions, sleep deprivation, detainees forced
to defecate on themselves. Find it here:

http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/guantanamo.htm, and the relevant portion may
be found in Part 1; the actual emails are in Part 2.

In order to be torture, pain must be equal to that caused by organ failure
or death:

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/olc-interrogation.pdf, page 38.

Incidentally, the FBI's interrogators withdrew from interrogations at GTMO
entirely after their interrogators refused to participate in what they
thought were war crimes. The ACLU link is to a document obtained from the
FBI's OIC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/opinion/23soufan.html, or
http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/safefree/OIG_052008_8_57.pdf, page 34

Let me repeat the questions I've asked you three times before, and which
you've refused to answer all three times.What are the facts as you believe
them to be? Did we waterboard? Did we leave detainees shackled to the
ceiling, stewing in their own shit? How about week-long periods of sleep
deprivation over years of detention? Did we do that? Do you think this is
consistent with our values?  Do you think we should be ordering US
servicemen to do this sort of thing? Is that consistent with a duty to
protect the honor of our servicemen and intelligence officers?

-- ACS