[Vision2020] "Harsh" Interrogations -As ye sow, so shall you

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Thu Apr 23 16:28:35 PDT 2009

Roger,

WHERE do you draw the line as far as "technique" is concerned?
IF the alleged terrorist is a woman, is it ok to rape her till she tells us about the plot
to bomb
LA?
Or a man for that matter?

AND remember, IF it's justified for the US to do it, it is justified for everyone else
too!

The reason it's referred to as a "slippery slope" is that the only direction to go is DOWN
HILL!

> That's an extremely dangerous point of view, Roger.  How far do you take
> it?  It's possible that daily random inspections of citizen's houses by
> SWAT teams could yield some data.  Or that torturing every Muslim in
> America would also yield results.  The Internet could be used to pass
> encrypted information between terrorist cells, maybe it should be shut
> down?  Perhaps a "shoot-on-sight" curfew would help make us safer from
> the threat of terrorism?
>
> I'm tired of this country being run by a bunch of cowards.  Draw a moral
> line in the sand, and stick to it.  Do what is right because it is
> right, not because it is expedient.
>
> Paul
>

> lfalen wrote:
> > Bear
> > You are wrong on this.
> > Because a confession was extracted fron this lady does not mean that she was a spy.
What
we may have done at GITMO had no bearing on how Iran conducts interrogations. They would
use brutal tactics no matter what we do.
> > As to our security I believe the following:
> > 1. If an interrogator thinks that there is good reason to believe a detainee has
information of an impending attack and does not use what ever means is necessary to obtain
that information and
> > 2 There is a subsequent attack that results in a loss of life.then
> > 3. Those interrogators should be prosecuted for dereliction of duty.
> > Former CIA Director Casey said that over 50% of the valid information about al-Quaeda
came from detainees and that an attack on L.A was thwarted by information obtained from
KSM.
> > Roger

Saturday
> >> after
> >> being convicted in a secret trial of spying for the United States. Her Iranian-born
> >> father, Reza
> >> Saberi, says she may have been tricked into a confession, believing she would be
released
> >> if
> >> she co-operated with the authorities. He said his daughter was so depressed by her
> >> sentence -
> >> the harshest ever given to a dual national on security charges in Iran - that she is
> >> threatening
> >> to go on hunger strike.
> >>
> >> Will they force feed her like we have force fed the prisoners at Guantánamo Bay
Detention
> >> Camp when they have gone on hunger strikes? IF they do, what makes us think we have a
> >> right
> >> to object?
> >>
> >> Did they use enhanced interrogation techniques to discover that she was a spy? And
> >> remember,
> >> she was arrested for SPYING. If she was in the United States could we have sued
enhanced
> >> interrogation techniques?  US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said on BBC Radio
4
> >> that
> >> since these methods are not intended to punish they do not violate the Eighth
Amendment

> >> the United States Constitution, barring "cruel and unusual punishment", and as such
may

> >> not
> >> be unconstitutional.
> >>
> >> Well, we started this dog fight, now we pay. How do we get back on the moral high
ground
> >> where this kind of behavior from ANY GOVERNMENT is wrong? I believe it starts with
the