[Vision2020] Fw: CRAPO COMMENDS TAX PROTESTS, DEFICIT AWARENESS

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Wed Apr 22 10:24:48 PDT 2009

So it's safe to assume that the Republican Congressman from Idaho is taking a wide stance
in
favor of  the issue of teabagging?

Susan Wheeler (202) 224-5150

> April 15, 2009

                               Lindsay Nothern (208) 344-1108

> CRAPO COMMENDS TAX PROTESTS, DEFICIT AWARENESS
>
> Sends letter to Idahoans rallying today
>

> Washington, DC - In a demonstration of support, Idaho Senator Mike Crapo told Idahoans
who
are protesting high federal deficits and tax increases through "tea parties" today that he
supports their efforts and has the voting record to demonstrate that.  He also noted the
similarities between today's events and his protest 15 years ago when he dumped the U.S.
Tax Code into the Boston Harbor.  As a freshman Congressman in 1994, Crapo joined with a
handful of other members of the U.S. House of Representatives to toss a copy into the
Harbor, re-enacting the famous protest by American colonists.

> Crapo addressed today's tax rallies through a written letter, as he was unable to
participate in person; he is hosting forums on federal health care reform in Coeur d'Alene
and Lewiston.  He sent letters through staff members attending the events.  The letter
reads as follows:

> Many Americans are joining together today across the nation to take a stand against the
injustice of excess taxes and spending.  These are historic events that, as you know,
mirror the famous Boston Tea Party in 1773, in which the colonists demonstrated their
frustration and displeasure with the extent of the British Parliament's sovereignty over
the colonies.  While today's gatherings around the country focus on excessive spending, a
common theme then and now is unfair taxes.

> Those of you gathered here today are suffering the burden of the extreme spending that
the
federal government has engaged in over the past year.  Let me recount the unbridled
spending legislation passed by Congress since last spring, every one of which I opposed
and voted against:

> *        The Fiscal Year 2008 Omnibus Appropriations bill,
>
> *        The 2008 stimulus bill which included the rebate checks,
>
> *        The Fiscal Year 2009 Appropriations Continuing Resolution,
>
> *        The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (otherwise known as TARP 1 and
TARP 2),

> *        The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (otherwise known as the
stimulus bill of 2009),

> *        The Fiscal Year 2009 Omnibus Appropriations bill.
>

> These seven pieces of legislation total a staggering 3.2 trillion in taxpayer dollars.
>

> I opposed and voted against each one of these.  In fact, each time a vote came up, I
warned that while Idahoans and Americans across the country were cutting back on their
spending during difficult times, Congress and the Administration were proposing to further
increase federal spending to unprecedented levels and increase the public debt, placing an
additional debt burden of tens of thousands of dollars on the head of every single
American.

> This is your money; you deserve to see clearly how spending decisions by the Congress
are
reflected in a rising national debt that will be placed on our children and grandchildren.
 To no avail, I reminded my colleagues that we have relied far too heavily on spending and
debt creation in hopes that we can revive the economy.  In fact, small business creates 90
percent of the jobs in our economy, not the federal government.  We need to increase
incentives for business and rework our tax policy to encourage job creation and new
investment in the American economy.  The last thing we need during these difficult
economic times is a tax increase.

> $3.2 trillion represents grossly-inflated and fiscally-irresponsible expenditures of
taxpayer dollars.  We cannot spend ourselves into prosperity.  Tripling federal programs
is not the answer to economic stimulus, and it's certainly not the answer to sustainable
growth of small business-the heart and soul of our economy.

> Debts in the trillions; expiring tax cuts; unchecked entitlement growth-it's government
run amok, or, as many here in Idaho have heard me say over the past few months:  hold on,
Big Government is back.  Back in 1994, when I was a Member of the House of
Representatives, I joined a few of my colleagues in the Boston Harbor on the very ship on
which the original Boston Tea Party was held for a re-enactment of that event.  At that
time, we physically threw the Internal Revenue Code in Boston Harbor.  My friends, today,
you are having another Tea Party because we must continue to remain vigilant and active
against excessive, unfair and outrageous government spending and taxation.  My feelings
about taxes remain unchanged.  Limited government is best, and taxpayers know better than
Congress how to allocate their hard-earned dollars.

> I commend you all on your efforts today.  Continue to let your elected officials know
how
you feel about how your hard-earned taxpayer dollars are being spent, not just today, but
until your voices are heard and change truly happens.

> To directly link to this news release, please use the following address:
>
> http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=311507
>

> # # #

> This is generated from an unattended mailbox. If you have constituent comments or
information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo, please do so at the Senator's
website, http://crapo.senate.gov<http://crapo.senate.gov/>. Comments sent to this e-mail
address will not be responded to.