[Vision2020] Legislative Update

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Tue Apr 21 20:56:55 PDT 2009

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE

Constituents:

     It looks like we may be heading into May with the legislative
session.  Governor Otter just vetoed 10 bill is in order to put the
pressure on the Legislature to pass his transportation initiative.   The
Senate late yesterday afternoon did pass a 6 cents increase on a gallon
of gas.   It will be interesting to see what the House decides to do
today.

     His vetoing HB161 is a real mystery to me.  The bill focused on
holding Idaho State Agencies accountable for the way they handled Idaho
citizen and employee personal data and information.   This has been of
major concern since there have been five major security breaches
regarding the handling of Idaho citizen and employee personal data by
State Agencies during the past five years.   Terry Probst-Martin,  Chief
Security Officer, for the Department of Administration reports there are
at least 100,000 hacker attacks on State Networks each week.   The
legislation was directly aimed at offering further protection of Idaho
citizens from Victim ID Theft through increased protection and vigilance
by State Agencies and personnel.

     The legislation actually got its start in Latah County when the
Latah Soil Conservation District approached the three District 6
legislators with a major problem.  The Idaho State Soil Conservation
Commission was demanding all confidential data of farmer cooperators and
employees including social security numbers.  tax numbers, bank account
numbers,  debit-asset ratios, and other confidential data from the local
districts.  Since two of the ISSC loan officers had been convicted of
embezzlement during the past two years there was not a great deal of
trust by the local districts regarding the ISSC.   There was also no
statutory authority or any reason for the districts to send the
personal/confidential information to the ISSC.   The issue escalated to
the point that the ISCC withheld state appropriations from a number of
districts for their refusal to send the personal information.  Then in
early October I was contacted by one of the local districts and told that
the ISSC had posted all the personal information of 30 or more farmer-
cooperators on their website and it had been out there for all the world
to see for over a month.  In my mind this was a security breach.   I
called the Idaho Attorney General's Office and the information was pulled
off the ISSC website within 24 hours.

     HB161 was developed with the help of Mike Gwartney,  Director of the
Department of Administration,  Terry Probst-Martin, Chief Security
Officer, and the Idaho State Attorney General's Office.   The AGs office
also provided a positive AGs opinion.    The bill was a bi-partisan
effort co-sponsored by Reps. Ringo, Chavez, Shepherd, Roberts, and Trail
and Senators Schroeder, Heinrich and Stegner.  The bill passed through
the legislative process without a negative vote, and then comes the
Governor's veto.

     Several legislators quoted the Governor as saying that he had not
read the bill, and that the bill was a solution in search of a problem.
A recent Consumer Report noted that State Governments and the U.S.
Government are notoriously poor guardians of you personal data.   During
the last two years poor handling of client personal records and data by
local, state, and national government agencies has resulted in the
exposure of more than 44,000,000 citizen's records, and a loss through
Identity Theft of over $2 billion dollars.  Personally I think the
Governor got poor advice from his staff, and that his veto of HB161
increasingly puts Idaho citizens and employees at risk for Victim
Identity Theft.

Representative Tom Trail