[Vision2020] Moscow Tea Party

g. crabtree jampot at roadrunner.com
Sat Apr 18 10:43:17 PDT 2009

Obama's Out of Control Spending Dwarfs the Wasted AIG Bailout Money
March 17, 2009 10:21 AM ET | Bonnie Erbe | Permanent Link | Print
By Bonnie Erbe, Thomas Jefferson Street blog

President Obama's profligate spending habits are starting to look an awful
lot like his predecessor's, and that's not good. Here, for example, are
three things the president did yesterday. These are three things that simply
cannot be done simultaneously with a straight face:

First, the President expressed outrage over the horrendous abuse of
government bailout money by insurance giant AIG-the same issue that has the
rest of official Washington zooming off into outer space:

  President Obama vowed to "pursue every legal avenue to block these
bonuses." But that pledge might have came too late. About $165 million in
retention payments went out Friday to employees at Financial Products, after
numerous discussions with the Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve.

Problem with his outrage is, the government funds were used as bonuses on
Mr. Obama's watch. President Obama could legitimately object to $165 million
in wasteful government spending

if he weren't simultaneously in the process of committing waste on a much
grander scale.

  Obama's budget proposes a $1.75 trillion deficit to lift the country out
of recession and lay the groundwork for healthcare reform and other big
initiatives. Republicans and some conservative Democrats are concerned about
the record spending...

And the President cannot be all things to all people, expanding funding for
a wide variety of programs at the same time.

  President Obama pledged Monday to make good on his promise to transform
the Department of Veterans Affairs and said he would "dramatically improve"
mental health aid. Flanked by Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki, the
president said his budget calls for a $25 billion increase in funding for
the VA over the next five years - a commitment that will be tested by the
needs of veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm not saying veterans should not be high up on the list of priorities.
They should be, but one has to limit priorities. The war in Iraq continues
to cost more than $10 billion dollars per month, the president is boosting
the number of troops in Afghanistan, expanding health care spending and
recreating the New Deal (hundreds of thousands if not millions of federal
jobs) all at once. Does the phrase "hyper inflation" ring a bell? If you
don't know what it means, you will in due time.