[Vision2020] slavery, Bible, 10 commandments

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 16:46:16 PDT 2009

I agree with most of what Keely had to say except two points:

1) I don't think the OT condones slavery as we understand the world slavery to be in the 21st Century. But I was taught the Bible is about emancipating the soul, not the body, so it allows it and lays down rules to prevent, deter, and severely limit abuses of authority, included that of those with slaves and men debited to them. The economics of the past and men depended on their ability to sell themselves for about 7 years to get food, clothing, shelter, and pay off debt. Wealthy men depended on the ability to buy men to do labor. That is the way the system worked, they didn't have an employer -employee  union relationship the way we do now.

2) As a Catholic, I disagree that the First Commandment doesn't include loving God and your neighbor. That was the point of the Ten Commandments. If think if you talk to any Catholic Priest they will tell you that loving God and you neighbor are in the Ten Commandments and must be followed above any other commandment.

I believe if your interpretation of the Bible suggests that you violate Loving your God or Loving your Neighbor, you are reading it incorrectly, because I don't think God would never lay down a command that violated Him.

"But slavery is and always was wrong.I agree with Ralph that IF the Bible says otherwise, it is wrong. My view is that it doesn't always mean what it literally says."--Joe C.

Joe, that made no sense to me whatsoever. I don't think there are any phrases about slavery in the Bible that Ralph quoted that were not meant literally.

Best Regards,

Donovan