[Vision2020] U of I Discrimination to Veterans

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Apr 11 12:24:27 PDT 2009

Paul -

This is an extremely shady area.

Although the UI Faculty and Staff Handbook does mention veterans, the
discrimination policy itself relates only to "Vietnam era" veterans.

The policy even makes reference to "Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment
Assistance Act of 1974".  I suppose that 1974/5/6/7 was the last time UI
seriously addressed the “veterans” issue, probably as a result of a major
influx of veterans onto the campus as students during that timeframe.

By its own definition, the UI Faculty and Staff Handbook at:

http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/fsh/3065.html

"B-5. 'Status as a Vietnam-era veteran' refers to a person who served on
active duty in the armed forces during the period from August 5, 1964,
through May 7, 1975."

Thus, by its own policy, the University of Idaho excludes military
veterans whose entire service is completed prior to August 5, 1964 or
commenced subsequent to May 7, 1975.

I would be extremely interested in Lieutenant Colonel Zetterstrom's
(Professor of Military Science), response to this oversight (and I am
hoping it is merely an oversight), as well as the responses of Colonel
Matthew Dorschel (Commander, WSU/UI Air Force ROTC) and Captain Ryder
(Commander, UI/WSU Navy ROTC).

I further assume that if these commanders are aware of UI’s oversight
concerning this issue, they probably consider just that, nothing more than
an oversight, and march on.

As for my opinion, I feel that, oversigh or not, the issue MUST be
addressed and appropriate corrections made, unless Walter Steed sits on
this council, as well.  In which case, the proverbial buck will be passed
to whover is called up to sweep up the mess.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Join us at The First Annual Intolerista Wingding, April 17th, featuring
Roy Zimmerman and Jeanne McHale.  For details go to . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Wingding

Seeya
there.