[Vision2020] Reply to Bear and a Book Recommendation....

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Fri Apr 10 15:01:11 PDT 2009

Good point, of course, and one I would ordinarily make myself.  I've thought
about this a lot in other circumstances and perhaps it comes down to the
point that subordinate groups may always bash superordinate ones--of course
in some societies that can get you killed.  And equals may always bash
equals.  The problem there, of course, is that I might see myself as your
equal, but you might not have a reciprocal response to me.

I just finished a book which deals mightily with this issue: The Absolutely
True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie.  It's the National Book
Award Winner and worthy of that honor.  My copy was a gift, but I'm sure
Bookpeople probably has it. It's better, I think, than his, The Lone Ranger
and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven.   But judge for yourself.

Sue H.