[Vision2020] National Service?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 07:31:33 PDT 2009

Bear,

The worst I ever experienced actually happened in Post Falls. I was going into a convince store and there was an unfit, unkept, older man in his military fatigues. He told me was hungry, so I bought him a sandwich and a cup of coffee. He told me that I was the first person to help him. Which I found sad, that so many would ignore him and not buy him something to eat. I don't give money to beggars, because I don't know if they are really poor, or will use the money in a meaningful way, but instead like using it to buy drugs or boos. But I am willing to buy food if I can. I felt sad because he tried to give me some type of medal or pin he had earned and offended that I would not take it from him. He wanted to repay me, not be beholden. I felt guilty, for not taking it to help his pride, but I didn't earn it, so I could not take a medal or pin a military person earned. I thought, how sad that man who served his country would be in such a situation and
 few willing to help him. But he is not the only one in his situation, I am sure it happens everyday in every major city.

I do know the look that you are talking about, the look you see in the eyes of a homeless person, it is frustrating and scary.

Best Regards,

Donovan