[Vision2020] Six gay men shot to death in Iraq

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 13:34:43 PDT 2009

Paul,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. And I apologize for the Nazi comment, I was over the line, just angry at what I considered a brush off of the murders.

"Sounds like a great reason to work with the UN to apply sanctions to the
country in question in a concerted effort to change their behavior.
This happens every day, and Iraq and Afghanistan are hardly the only two
countries in which this kind of behavior exists."

I don't think the UN is effective. Its sanctions and resolutions are broken all the time without consequence. You might as well be complaining to Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny for help.

"Bush, as far as I can tell, went to war based on the following reasons:
*mumble* *mumble* 9/11 *mumble* *mumble* Saddam *mumble* *mumble*
terrorism *mumble* *mumble* weapons of mass
destruction!!!!!1!!one!!!1!!!!1!!!!"

I think Bush had a reason to go to war with Iraq, it was to remove Saddam Hussian, establish a strong US military presents in the region, and make some people very wealthy. 9/11 was used as an excuse. It was his plan to invade Iraq, not matter what, as the plans were drawn even before 9/11. We invaded not for no reason, but for sinister reasons.

"Just like an average person should not employ violence against anyone
else unless they absolutely have to, we should not enter in to a war
without *VERY* good reason.  The main reason for this, one of which I'm
sure you're aware, is that people die in wars.  Lots of people"

First of all, people are dying anyway, lots of people. Second, there is heavy cost to pay for not going to war. Our hesitation to enter WWII cost far more lives than if we stopped Germany earlier. Third, dying is not the worst thing. To live in paralyzing fear, oppression, abuse, and without any hope of freedom, is far worse than the risk of dying in a war.

I ask, if people were pulling woman out of houses in your neighborhood and setting them on fire, if woman in your family were raped at will, and gays were just shot in the street for doing nothing against anyone, the disabled strapped with explosives used as living weapons, would you not consider that reason to fight for freedom? Or would you rather just be alive and live in that kind of world?

This country declared war against the British for the price of tea and sugar. India for salt. I think living conditions of woman and gay men are horrible enough as to stop funding and working with these oppressive governments and to take forceful actions against them.

When you say you oppose military action, are you saying you would rather allow the suffering of 100s of millions, because that is better than killing the those that do it and a few innocent people?

How horrible and unjust does a society have to get before military action in your eyes is justified?

Best Regards,

Donovan