[Vision2020] bezel

Kai Eiselein fotopro63 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 6 19:18:59 PDT 2009

The coin is too small for a watch case, Donald, it's about the same size as a modern quarter. A silver dollar might work in a watch case.

As soon as it hit the counter, I new it wasn't a "new" quarter, it had that beautiful silver "ring" to it. I figured it was a pre-'64 quarter, but when I saw the eagle I knew it was much older. Unfortunately, the obverse has been ground, polished and engraved with a monogram. The engraving is extremely fine, so it was professionaly done. My guess is it was done fairly early in the coin's life. There are examples of union soldiers having quarters engraved with their name, unit and hometown in case they were killed in battle. I highly doubt that was the intent in this case. It was more likely to have been a gift, I think.

Still, it will make a nice conversation piece.