[Vision2020] Seriously: U of I Presidency

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com
Thu Apr 2 09:02:06 PDT 2009

Hi Bear,

The most recent scuttlebutt is that "The Dirk," AKA a former Idaho senator, will be made the new UI president. Presumably without proper vetting or consultation with any faculty or staff.

A Board of Education member was once reminded about the long tradition of faculty governance and the UI constitutional provision that the "immediate government" of the university was in the hands of the faculty.  His response was: "That's odd. I thought we the ones that did that!" And yes, they the power to do just that.

The motto of our faculty union is "Education for Democracy; Democracy in Education."  We are currently in a losing battle for the second half of that motto.

Nick