[Vision2020] Kibbie Dome To Become Pigouts

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Wed Apr 1 10:10:50 PDT 2009

Saundra,

Honestly, I'm NOT aware of what's happening with the business incubator, but I'm more than

willing to listen. An informed and educated public IS the key to a lot of the issues not
only at
the federal and state level but also at the local, grass roots level.

I ran into another issue having breakfast this week, in the driveway of the city parking
lot (yes,
the one that was just repaved) behind Breakfast Club, the Chamber of Commerce, etc.  The
city,
read that as the taxpayers paid to have the driveway recently repaved. However, someone,
and I
lay this on the city streets department and the city council, never bothered to do any
quality
control on it. There are two storm water sewers about 200 feet apart in the middle of the
driveway. Currently, one of the businesses that backs on that driveway has a plugged
drain, and
the roof water is running into that driveway. Still ok, that's why the storm water sewers
are
there. Unfortunately, since there was no quality control, the storm sewer that is about 10
feet
away, is up hill from the backed up drain, and the water is now traveling about 100 feet
toward
the other, down hill storm sewer. Now, you ask, why complain  if it's headed that way?
Simple,
the storm sewer at the south end is also up hill and the water can't get to it! Basic
principle of
hydro physics that our city fathers/mothers and the streets department seem to have
missed,
and you can quote me on this, WATER RUNS DOWNHILL.  So, instead of the water running into
the storm sewers, it forms a small creek in the middle of the driveway. Not a real problem
until
you figure out what kind of weather we get here in Moscow. Water freezes and when it gets
into
the asphalt, it expands and contracts, breaking up the new paving.   So rather than have
the
water head into the storm sewers, it backs up, and breaks up the newly paved driveway,
thus
enabling us to have the streets department to let out a new contract to have it paved
again!

Basically what we have here is a self licking ice cream cone!  And who pays for the
repaving, WE
DO.