[Vision2020] [Bulk] Important Bill Maher Message

Warren Hayman whayman at roadrunner.com
Sat Sep 27 15:19:08 PDT 2008

Thanks, Paul.

I think this phenomenon at which we both shiver has been called "the culture
of fear" and, correlatively, the methods wherein promulgated "the politics
of fear."

I find both well, fearful. They negate basic values of humanity and dignity.
They reduce a human being to an other, and in that intangible reduction lies
the seed for sprouting fear and hatred. Such a soil, if you will, consists
of the substrate "that which I am not," nurtured into the ideatic
progression of wrong >> bad >> evil. And of course some of the inevitable
fruits include ignorance, arrogance, disdain, divisiveness, and hatred. All
based on something within the concept of "not me as far as I am willingly to
admit, therefore unknown, deleterious, possibly fatal (or something)." Too
regretfully easy to slip down that slope, it seems.

And what saddens me as much as anything is to hear a young(?) female (?)
voice here in Moscow asking whether Obama is Muslim. Follow the previous
logic with the word Muslim. Sad because the answer has been such a foregone
conclusion for some time now. Why not at least ask "Didn't he formerly
attend the church of an inflammatory Christian pastor?" But no or not yet to
that query even here in Moscow. Where are the critical thinking and reading
abilities absent from such a question? Or, Who has been teaching/feeding her
what, without the allowance of self-thought? Can anyone still ask that
question with any seriousness beyond an intent of denigration?

We then finally arrive back here on V2020 reading the amplified scrutiny of
someone's middle name, someone whose first name wasn't even spelled
correctly, even though the tougher "Hussein" was right. My middle name is
James, am I therefore synonymous with Duncan? Woe be it to any with the name
of Charles or Manson, Jim or Jones, Ted or Bundy. Not to mention Adolph or
Osama, somewhat common names within the respective cultures. I find all this
devastatingly sad, especially so in Moscow.

Warren Hayman