[Vision2020] Why Flags are not a Solution (was one injured in ... crossing)

joekc at roadrunner.com joekc at roadrunner.com
Thu Sep 25 21:32:37 PDT 2008

Let me try to make my point about why flags are not a solution to our current
crosswalk problem
in another way since likely some will see my last argument as too
"philosophical." And sorry to Deb
and others if it seemed like I was being critical of jokes about the students.

Suppose that we needed to build the military up rapidly. Would we (a) appeal to
the responsibility
of young men and women and issue a plea for enlistment, or (b) reinstate the
draft? Maybe a
better question is, Which option would be more effective? There (b) is the
obvious choice.

A few years back there was a horrible problem in our country with deaths caused
by drunk drivers
between the ages of 18-25. What did we do to reduce that death rate? Did we (a)
appeal to
the responsibility of young men and women and ask them to stop driving drunk, or
(b) change the
drinking age to 21? Well, we changed the drinking age to 21. For a long time the
number of drunk
driving accidents and deaths associated with them dropped sharply. (I've heard
it is up again but
I'm not sure.)

Here's my point. I don't know of a single case in which the large scale behavior
of folks from 18-25
changed substantially because the members of that group suddenly started acting
more
responsibly. Any policy that banks on change for that reason seems doomed to
failure. If someone
can find a counterexample to that claim, I'd like to know what it is. In cases
of possible
counterexamples, I expect that there were coercive elements in play that can't
be duplicated here.

Flags are fine for towns like McCall, since most of the people using the flags
are adults, not
college aged kids. In a setting like that they are going to work well. Dan noted
that many of the
flags we did have went missing. Likely people stole them as a joke. I have yet
to see a single
person use a flag in the crosswalk. And there is the added problem that the
foot-traffic flow is
excessive toward the UI in the morning and away from the UI at night. Likely all
of them will end
up on the wrong side in no time at all. Flags have not worked so far for a
number of reason and
nothing has changed to indicate that they will start working now.

But more important flags are not a solution because it is just another case in
which we are expecting a population to act more responsibly even though they
have demonstrated a failure
to do so up to this point. Nor is there any change in the situation that might
warrant a change in
their behavior. People have given testimony of numerous youngsters acting
irresponsibly while
crossing the highway. If one is not going to take the time to walk safely across
the highway in the
first place, there is no reason to expect that he or she will grab a flag and
then carelessly stroll.

We have a real problem and we need a real solution. Flags are not the answer.
Mark my words,
without a viable solution accidents will continue to happen at about the rate
that they have been.

--
Joe Campbell