[Vision2020] Spectator Sport, Episode 2

Loren Singh loren.singh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 15:09:20 PDT 2008

 From the IDAHO STATEMAN (Boise), 2008.09.25:
September 25, 2008 Idaho cheerleader coach quits over uniform fuss

The University of Idaho cheerleader coach who was responsible for uniforms
that caused a stir over whether they were too revealing or uncomfortable has
resigned.

Cassie Helm of Liberty Lake, Wash., told the Lewiston Tribune the halter
tops and black skirts with white trim were a good combination of cheer and
dance styles, and she denied claims by Shelly Robson, an adviser to the
spirit squad and an athletics department fundraiser, that some cheerleaders
found them unflattering and uncomfortable.

The uniforms helped promote physical fitness, Helm said.

"The kids were real motivated to look as best as they could," she said.
"When you walk out there and you feel so proud about what you're doing,
that's the goal of the whole thing. The kids had the package."

One cheerleader, Heidi Lyons, 18, a freshman from Clarkston who is studying
graphic design, supported Helm's account.

"We helped pick them out," Lyons said. "We wanted them with sparkles and all
this stuff, but (Helm) toned them down."

Helm ordered a prototype before the season, and each cheerleader tried it on
to get a custom fit, she added.

"If a girl wanted 3 inches added to the skirt, then the girl got 3 inches
added to the skirt," she said.

The shiny uniforms ordered by Helm cost $4,200 from a spirit squad fund,
part of which is drawn from student fees.

For Idaho's most recent game, the cheerleaders donned black volleyball
shorts and football jerseys. New uniforms, black and silver with a less
revealing halter-style top and a skirt about six inches longer, have been
ordered with $2,200 in private money and are expected to arrive by Oct. 4.

Helm, who teaches aerobics and gymnastics, said she resigned because of the
school administrations more conservative vision for the spirit squad.

"It's stunning to me because all I heard about was how awesome they looked,"
she said.

Lyons said the uniform switch deprived the squad its goal to excite the
crowd at football games.

"That's what probably hurt us the most," she said. "It felt like we were
stepping up, and it kind of felt like they were bringing us back."

Helm said some cheerleaders told her they cried after a meeting in which the
uniforms were confiscated.

"Kids aren't crying if they hate something," the ex-coach said.