[Vision2020] Vision2020 Digest, Vol 27, Issue 221

roger hayes rhayes at turbonet.com
Wed Sep 24 07:13:09 PDT 2008

Matt,
The moment drivers step out of their cars they become pedestrians. So
it is not a matter of them (pedestrians/bicyclists) vs us (motorists).
Most Moscovites have taken a spin on their bicycles. Relatively, Moscow
is a pedestrian/bicycle friendly city. However, Jefferson and Jackson
streets, however, are deadly. The speeds which most motorists travel on
those roads are way too fast. Same with the Pullman highway. Within the
urban core, one must be aware that pedestrians and bicyclists may be
crossing the roads. People need to get from place to place.
Idaho code mandates that cars stop for pedestrians. Motorists must also
share the lane with bicycles (actually the language is quite a bit
stronger and more concise than this. Look it up.).
The greatest nightmare would be to injure a pedestrian or bicyclist
while driving. Therefore, while I am driving I am looking out for
everything that may cause an accident. We are not a perfect species.
Bicyclists and pedestrians can be irresponsible and careless. So can
motorists. Getting angry behind the wheel impairs judgment and ability
to operate the vehicle safely. It also ruins one's day. Who needs the
stress?
Finally, sorry to bring this up, but as fuel costs become out of reach
for many Moscovites, the number of bicycles and pedestrians is going to
increase. It is something we are going to have to get used to and
accept.

Sincerely,
Roger Hayes
Bicyclist / Pedestrian / Driver