[Vision2020] Lawyers' duty

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 19:01:20 PDT 2008

Joe,

It can be both. There are defense lawyers that don't give two licks for justice and only serve because they are required to do so. There are also private defense lawyers that do not have the same ethics as the rest of the public. It is also possible to have prosecutors and lawyers that harm people out of their own selfish interests and greed.

I don't pretend to have the answers to fix all that is broken in our legal system. I just know it clearly is broken.

I would suggest, however, average citizens be setting the ethical standards that lawyers must follow, not other lawyers. I would also suggest that the skill level and expertise of lawyers and resources be roughly equal available on both sides in each case and sufficient for a fair trial. I would also suggest limiting the number of lawyers we have and increase the number of paralegals. Allow paralegals to try cases on the lower level. Regulate what lawyers can charge for criminal cases for their criminal defense. Make tax and other laws more simple so we don't need as many lawyers.

Best Regards,

Donovan