[Vision2020] one injured in bop-a-student crossing

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 23 13:28:12 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 07:25:58 Bev Bafus wrote:
> Sorry for the flip name, but that is what my family calls this very
> dangerous pedestrian crossing.  I would like to see the City of Moscow, the
> University of Idaho and the Idaho State Transporation Department work
> together to solve this issue.  Ideally, this would involve construction of
> a pedestrian bridge over Highway 8 - or at a bare minimum, a stoplight.
>
> The City created this mess by allowing all the apartments on the north side
> of Highway 8.

I think there is sufficient "blame" to supply all interested parties with an
adequate supply. Mall merchants insufficiently concerned about the safety of
their customers, University officials only passingly mindful of daily student
migrations, transportation planners oblivious to pedestrian needs concerning
their multi-lane motorways, and, yes, city officials who fail to see the
daily reality of thousands of pedestrians living on the south side of a
highway with the region's major shopping center on the north side of the same
highway. Should pedestrian concerns be noteworthy? Of course.

One never knows who the pedestrian might be, nor should that identity make a
difference. That the victim in this case was a student, and that Moscow is
well-supplied with students, should not make one's concern any less. Were the
person crossing the highway internationally-known, multi-millionaire author
Stephen King, who was several years ago struck by a Dodge vehicle, thrown
into the air, and landed in a nearby ditch with serious injuries, the
resulting attention to the Highway 8 crossing problem, not to mention the
subsequent legal activities, would likely consume a fair amount of local
attention. Local and state legislators would less likely leave the situation
unresolved. So, for the sakes of the unpublished novelists, and other future
notable achievers crossing Highway 8 regularly, this crossing problem needs a
better solution.

Benefits from a covered pedestrian bridge arching over the highway will accrue
not just to the pedestrians walking across it. Drivers, too, will benefit
because they will more likely be able to maintain a steadier speed, even
though that stretch of roadway is becoming one of the most actively used in
the area. Motorists are less likely to suffer pedestrian-induced stress if
they don't feel as if they are driving through the Gopher Gulch obstacle
course, or a game named Bop-A-Ped, a horizontal perspective knock-off of
Whac-A-Mole.

It is one thing to ask motorists to respect a pedestrian-preferred area on
Sixth Street with dormitory residences on the north side, and campus
buildings on the south side, of a two-lane, restricted-speed street. It is
something else entirely to ask motorists traveling a five-lane interstate
highway to be especially aware of pedestrians who may be quite distracted in
their own mental worlds as they hike or bike between campus, canteen, and
cottage.

Structural design considerations should include weather-proof covering, and
enough width to accommodate internal, two-way traffic, including motorized
wheel chairs, bicycles, joggers, and side-by-side pedestrians traveling in
opposite directions.

How to pay for such a project is an interesting question. Whether or not it
might be reimbursed by state funds later, one suggestion is to create a local
improvement district attached to the properties adjacent and near to the
project location, and fund the project from the LID levies. Depending upon
the area of the LID, this might be a quite focused assessment, or it could be
dispersed over nearby neighborhoods, too. Using an LID as a funding vehicle,
local residents probably can get the project moving somewhat more readily
than waiting for various other alternatives as primary funding sources.

Ken