[Vision2020] Rep. Bill Sali and HR 1907

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Sep 23 09:40:10 PDT 2008

The following bill was voted upon in the House of Representatives on
Monday (September 22, 2008).

H.R. 1907: Coastal and Estuarine Land Conservation Program Act

Coastal and Estuarine Land Protection Act - Directs the Secretary of
Commerce to establish a Coastal and Estuarine Land Protection Program to
protect the environmental integrity of undeveloped coastal and estuarine
areas. Authorizes the Secretary to make Program grants to coastal states
with approved coastal zone management plans or National Estuarine Research
Reserve units for the purpose of acquiring property that will further the
goals of an approved Coastal Zone Management Plan or Program, a National
Estuarine Research Reserve management plan, or a regional or state
watershed protection plan.

Prohibits any more than 75% of the funding for any project under this Act
from being derived from federal sources.

Reserves 15% of program funds for acquisitions benefiting the National
Estuarine Research Reserve.

Specifies that when property is acquired under this program, the grant
recipient shall provide assurances that: (1) title will be held by the
recipient or another public agency designated by the recipient in
perpetuity; (2) property will be managed consistent with the purpose of
the Program; and (3) funds will be returned to the Secretary for
redistribution if the property is sold, exchanged, or divested.

Full Text:
http://tinyurl.com/4dgycr

Final Vote:
Passed 313-59, 61 not voting (2/3 required)

Rep. Bill Sali voted against this legislation.

How much longer before Rep. Sali votes to harvest the trees in Idaho's
wilderness region?

Note:  I will be posting Sali's vote on a regular basis.  If, and it is
very likely, I exceed the virtual, supposed 3-posting-per-day rule, you
are free to ignore my postings.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)