[Vision2020] A woman to serve as president?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Sep 22 11:58:36 PDT 2008

I read Gushee's article, and I think it's a vital piece for all evangelicals to read.  It's time to honestly reflect on whether or  not non-egalitarians hold to their position because of their reading of Scripture, or because patriarchy and sexism seem to have worked well for them.

That they not only don't "work well" for men or women should be an incentive to consider the egalitarian position, and it'll be interesting to see how these defenders of female subordination react to Gushee's probing questions.  It is simply a question of theology with real-life application -- as all theology ought to be -- and I'm fascinated at the hermeneutical gyrations the religious Right employ to wiggle out of a very obvious dissonance between their view of gender roles and their embrace of Sarah Palin as our next vice president.

Too bad that the voices of thinkers like Gushee get drowned out amongst the predictable and lame trumpeting of the same old self-appointed defenders of right thinking, right conclusions, and right application.  I long for the day that Gushee, Ron Sider, Jim Wallis, Ruth Tucker, Alvera Mickelson and Mimi Haddad are seen as valid, wise voices for evangelicalism.

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/