[Vision2020] Citing Primary Sources via Secondary Sources

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Thu Sep 18 11:40:37 PDT 2008

Hi Jeff,

I know all about on-line plagiarism and I used special search
programs to catch some of my dishonest students.  This was in an
academic setting.

Andreas is not your student, or Joe's, or mine.  As Joe said, he did
not have an assignment from us.  He did not write this for his law
school studies.  The Law School Honor code does not apply on this list.

This is not plagiarism and you know it.

Nick
>Nick,
>
>I provided the link to the Law School Honor Code for two reasons:
>
>1. So that Shoue would know what his obligations were, with respect
>to law studies, so he would not make the same mistake again.
>
>2. It was a convenient local application of the standards of
>plagiarism for those that are not familiar with.
>
>It is clear that you and Campbell need a refresher course on
>plagiarism.  It is very surprising to me that both of you are
>failing to recognize that the person injured here was the author of
>the source that Schoe failed to cite.
>
>Can I presume that the standards of plagiarism are lower for
>philosophy writings.  I am very surprised that an Ethics  instructor
>would not see the issue here.
>
>This event can be classified as "online plagiarism".  Wikipedia
>offers a comprehensive explanation:
>
>[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism]
>
>Online plagiarism
>

>Since it is very easy to steal content from the web by simply
>copying and pasting, the problem of online plagiarism is growing.
>[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>citation
>needed] This phenomenon, also known as content scraping, is
>affecting both established sites [3] and blogs [4].
>Free online tools are becoming available to help identify plagiarism
>[5], and there is a range of approaches that attempt to limit online
>copying, such as disabling
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Right-click#Common_mouse_operations>right
>clicking and placing warning banners regarding copyrights on web
>pages. Instances of plagiarism that involve copyright violation may
>be addressed by the rightful content owners sending a
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/DMCA>DMCA removal notice to the
>offending site-owner, or to the
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/ISP>ISP that is hosting the
>offending site.
>It is important to reiterate that plagiarism is not the mere copying
>of text, but the presentation of another's ideas as one's own,
>regardless of the specific words or constructs used to express that
>idea. In contrast, many so-called plagiarism detection services can
>only detect blatant word-for-word copies of text.
>The cite that Schoe indicated he obtained his info from has very
>clear policies about use of the material obtained from the cite. One
>of those is to provide a citation for the author of the material.
>
>I have provided all the links. Check it out or not - I don't really care.

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to
human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each
part by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole
and on the interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our
intellectual life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between
science, religion, and art. The whole is never equal simply to the
sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://www.home.roadrunner.com/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://www.roadrunner.com/~nickgier/ift.htm