[Vision2020] A Bipartisan Extortion of the American Taxpayer

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Sep 18 00:35:58 PDT 2008

Actually, I am just beginning a review of the entire housing market
collapse and the ripple effect on the stock market. So far, a lot of
fingers point to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Some colleagues of mine suggest that Bear Stearns was the early
warning signal to the more recent events.  Others have suggested that
the real catalyst was Enron - speculators in housing thought the
business model used by Enron could be applied in housing - especially
the leveraging of mortgages (primarily derivatives) similar to how
Enron speculated in energy. There is some indication that Bear
Stearns was significantly overleveraged.

This sequence of events will prove most interesting and may be enough
of a disaster to provoke Americans to demand enhanced accountability
and effective enforcement - I am confident that McCain/Palin will be
the leadership drivers. It does seem clear that there will be no
protected parties - there is going to be a lot of blame to go around
- SEC, FDIC, Justice Department, DOE dada, dada, dada.

A update news flash from Fox News today - Obama received over
$500,000 from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

FWIW dept - I lived through the Carter Years (gas lines and 22%
interest rates) and every other recession since then. Our basic
strengths of productive labor force, great science and technology
universities, access to scarce resources and love of freedom are all
intact.  We will get through this mess and be a better nation for
it.  But be sure to diversify your 401K and your Roth accounts - and
don't spend more than you make.