[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Curious

joekc at roadrunner.com joekc at roadrunner.com
Tue Sep 16 00:12:40 PDT 2008

Paul,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Just a few points.

I agree that military service is a plus and for that and other reasons McCain is a formidable
candidate. If it were McCain running against Kerry instead of Bush I might have voted Republican.
At that time I liked him a lot. But for all of his military experience he still refuses to admit that
Iraq was a huge mistake. Fine that we can't pull out right away. But we shouldn't have gone in
there in the first place and he should have the courage and knowledge to admit that. By not doing
so, and by selecting a candidate to please the right-wing fundamentalists, he has wrecked his
independent, maverick reputation and shown himself to be just another politician trying to do
whatever it takes to get elected. I can't vote for him.

I liked Palin as well as McCain up until about half way through her speech at the Republican
Convention. Then the attacks came and since she spent a lot of time making offensive comments
directed at people like me, it should not be too surprising that I was offended. But that is not why
I won't vote for her. I just can't get around the fact that we're supposed to praise her daughter for
making the right choice yet if we elect her, she will work hard to take that choice away from
others. Suppose, for instance, that her daughter was trying to choose between killing her next door neighbor or not. If she decided not to kill her next door neighbor, we certainly wouldn't praise her for making the right decision. Ergo, whatever your views on the subject are, abortion simply is not the same thing as killing an adult person. It just isn't morally the same.

Second, if you believe, as Palin does, that it is murder, why on earth would you give your daughter
the choice? You wouldn't. If Palin is honest about her convictions, she wouldn't have given her
daughter the choice and thus the daughter is not deserving of praise, for she had no choice about
the matter. Any way you cut it, the whole thing sickens me. Here is a genuine moral dilemma
which Palin oversimplifies, again, for political gain. That is not leadership.

I still think that our disagreement about trolls is a generational thing. But I respect your opinion!

--
Joe Campbell