[Vision2020] Pheasants

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Fri Sep 12 20:22:08 PDT 2008

I have also noted a shortage of hens. I had one young male who did
not mature enough to fly before mid-August (end of June is normal).
As for quail, we do have a number of flocks around, but not as many
or as large as the last few years. As for other beings, I normally
put out yellow-jacket/wasp traps in April. Since I didn't see any by
the first of September, I skipped that step. There were a slightly
smaller number of honey bees than normal.

For the first time in 15 or so years, my apricot tree had fruit--a
quart of tennisball-sized, beautiful, tasty globes. Even the
squirrels (fewer and younger than normal) wouldn't eat the
excessively wormy Bing cherries--normally a treat.

One year a climate change does not make, but it bears watching.

Be prepared to shovel your sidewalks this winter!

Kit Craine