[Vision2020] Pheasants

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 12 14:57:30 PDT 2008

Visionaries:

I know we've got some other folks here who enjoy *watching* birds, so I
thought I'd ask y'all:  have you noticed any changes in your local pheasant
populations?

In spite of the wretched hawks (to those of you who enjoy raptor visits,
send me your physical addresses and I'll direct them your way!) that decided
to plague me this past winter, the bird population in my neighborhood seemed
to have weathered the harsh winter well.  Of course, I about killed myself
keeping my feeding stations & the paths to & from them open, but that's
another topic  :-)

Anyway, in the Spring, it seemed as though our bird populations for this
neighborhood were pretty typical.

However, over the past many weeks (probably two months or longer), I've not
seen a single hen, which has never happened in all the years we've lived in
this neighborhood.  Also, the male population seems to be decreased but not
eliminated.  At various times in previous years, we've seen no pheasants for
short periods, but we've never had an extended period such as this where no
hens pheasants have been spotted.

On another bird note, we've not had any quail broods visit this year, which
has also never happened in the years we've lived in this neighborhood.
That's a huge bummer, too.  I did see one brood down towards the south end
of Mountain View, but that's been the extent of my glimpses of those
wonderful families this year.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****