[Vision2020] Palin and book banning

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 7 20:52:13 PDT 2008

Hi Keely et al,

Sorry I didn't go into detail in my earlier email.

Palin was mayor from 1996-2002, and it was during her first mayoral term
that the book banning conversations took place - I don't know exactly when,
but they would have been prior to the library director's resignation
effective 8/31/1999.

The following three books were on the list in the email you forwarded - note
the publication dates:

Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban wasn't published until September,
1999
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire wasn't published until July, 2000

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets wasn't published until November,
2003

I didn't check any of the other books, so there could be other impossible
candidates there as well.  The publishing info for the three above  show
that the list couldn't possibly be a list of books Palin had attempted to
ban because these three books weren't even published until after Palin's
inquiries.  Again, the list is a valid list of books banned in the US at
"one time or another," but it isn't a list of books Palin attempted to ban:

http://www.adlerbooks.com/banned.html

Of course, the fact that the specific list of books attributed to Palin
seems to be erroneous does nothing to mitigate the horror that she was
interested in banning any books from the public library, which is just one
more terrifying step towards authoritarianism.

HTH,

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****