[Vision2020] Palin and library books

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Sep 7 14:35:54 PDT 2008

>From Jeff's cousin -- interesting information about Sarah Palin and her attempts to get books banned from the Wasilla, Alaska, library when she was mayor.

Flicka????!!!!!!  Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary?????!!!!

OK, I guess "Our Bodies, Ourselves" isn't a surprise . . .

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/

From: RGPsme at aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 16:38:09 -0400
Subject: (no subject)
To: r.clearwater.arch at comcast.net; cleedesign at yahoo.com; samscat99 at netscape.net; betterthanchocolate at hotmail.com; kjajmix1 at email.msn.com; johnmetc at verizon.net; pnixon18 at hotmail.com; rstockwell at applied-e-s.com; maryginger at yahoo.com

Let's spend a few moments browsing the list
of books Mayor Sarah Palin tried to get town librarian Mary Ellen Baker to ban
in the lovely, all-American town of Wasilla, Alaska.  When Baker refused to
remove the books from the shelves, Palin threatened to fire her.  The story
was reported in Time Magazine and the list comes from the librarian.net
website.

I'm sure you'll find your own personal favorites among
the classics Palin wanted to protect the good people of Wasilla from, but the
ones that jumped out at me were the four Stephen King novels (way to go Stephen,
John Steinbeck only got three titles on the list), that notorious piece of
communist pornography "My Friend Flicka,"  the usual assortment of Harry
Potter books, works by Shakespeare, Walt Whitman, Kurt Vonnegut, Mark Twain
(always fun to see those two names together), Arthur Miller, and Aristophanes,
as well as "Our Bodies, Ourselves" (insert your own Bristol Palin joke here),
and the infamous one-two punch of depravity:  "To Kill a Mockingbird" and
"Little Red Riding Hood."  But the cherry on the sundae, the topper, is
Sarah Palin's passionate, religious mission to clear the shelves of the Wasilia
Public Library of that ultimate evil tome:  "Webster's Ninth New Collegiate
Dictionary."  That's the one with " equality," "free speech" and "justice "
in it.

Go over to your book case and
take down one of the books you'll find on the list (I know you've got a couple)
and give it a read in honor of the founding fathers.  Then tell me I'm not
the only voter who doesn't want this woman within thirty feet of the United
States Constitution.

 Sarah Palin's Book Club

A Clockwork
Orange by Anthony Burgess
A Wrinkle in
Time by Madeleine L’Engle
Annie on My
Mind by Nancy Garden
As I Lay Dying by
William Faulkner
Blubber by Judy
Blume
Brave New World by Aldous
Huxley
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine
Paterson
Canterbury Tales by
Chaucer
Carrie by Stephen
King
Catch-22 by Joseph
Heller
Christine by Stephen
King
Confessions by Jean-Jacques
Rousseau
Cujo by Stephen
King
Curses, Hexes, and Spells by Daniel
Cohen
Daddy’s Roommate by Michael
Willhoite
Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert
Peck
Death of a Salesman by Arthur
Miller
Decameron by
Boccaccio
East of Eden by John
Steinbeck
Fallen Angels by Walter
Myers
Fanny Hill (Memoirs of a Woman of
Pleasure) by John Cleland
Flowers For
Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Forever by Judy
Blume
Grendel by John Champlin
Gardner
Halloween ABC by Eve
Merriam
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s
Stone by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and
the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter20and the Prizoner of Azkaban by J.K.
Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of
Fire by J.K. Rowling
Have to G o by
Robert Munsch
Heather Has Two Mommies by
Leslea Newman
How to Eat Fried Worms by
Thomas Rockwell
Huckleberry Finn by Mark
Twain
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by
Maya Angelou
Impressions edited by Jack
Booth
In the Night Kitchen by Maurice
Sendak
It’s Okay if You Don’t Love Me by
Norma Klein
James and the Giant Peach by
Roald Dahl
Lady Chatterley’s Lover by
D.H. Lawrence
Leaves of Grass by Walt
Whitman
Little Red Riding Hood by Jacob
and Wilhelm Grimm
Lord of the Flies by
William Golding
Love is One of the
Choices by Norma Klein
Lysistrata by
Aristophanes
More Scary Stories in the
Dark by Alvin Schwartz
My Brother Sam Is
Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
My House by Nikki Giovanni
M y Friend Flicka by Mary O’Hara
Night Chills by Dean Koontz
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer
One Day in The Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander
Solzhenitsyn
One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s
Nest by Ken Kesey
One Hundred Years of
Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Ordinary People by Judith Guest
Our Bodies, Ourselves by Boston Women’s Health
Collective
Prince of Tides by Pat
Conroy
Revolting Rhymes by Roald
Dahl
Scary Stories 3: More Tales to=2
0Chill Your Bones by Alvin Schwartz
Scary
Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Separate Peace by John Knowles
Silas Marner by George Eliot
Slaughte rhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.< br>
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark
Twain
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by
Mark Twain
The Bastard by John
Jakes
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D.
Salinger
The Chocolate War by Robert
Cormier
The Color Purple by Alice
Walker
The Devil’s Alternative by
Frederick Forsyth
The Figure in the
Shadows by John Bellairs
The Grapes of
Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Great Gilly
Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
The
Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
The
Headless Cupid by Zilpha Snyder
The
Learning Tree by Gordon Parks
The Living
Bible by William C. Bower
The Merchant of
Venice by William Shakespeare
The New
Teenage Body Book by Kathy McCoy and Charles Wibbelsman
The Pigman by Paul Zindel
The Seduction of Peter S. by Lawrence
Sanders
The Shining by Stephen
King
The Witches by Roald
Dahl
The Witches of Worm by Zilpha
Snyder
Then Again, Maybe I Won’t by Judy
Blume
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper
Lee
Twelfth Night by William
Shakespeare
Webster’s Ninth New
Collegiate Dictionary--Merriam-Webster Editorial Staff
Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts: The Story of the
Halloween Symbols by Edna Barth

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.