[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for September 5, 2008

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 5 05:31:52 PDT 2008

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for September 5, 2008.

September 5, 2008

Dear Friends,

>From Olympic gold medalists to vice presidential candidates, the
University of Idaho exemplifies a community of leadership. As an alumnus,
I join the Vandal family in being particularly proud of our legacy of
alumni achievement and public service. The legacy now includes Alaska
Governor Sarah Palin '87 - named by Senator John McCain as his running
mate in the presidential election. The news broke just as last week's
Friday Letter was being delivered to you, but I am pleased now to add my
own congratulations to the many Sarah has received.

A large number of University of Idaho alumni, faculty and staff from all
over our great state have distinguished themselves in public service.
These alumni have served our state and country at particularly high
levels:

Philip Habib '42, U.S. Ambassador and Presidential Medal of Freedom
recipient

Marine Corps Colonel Reginald Myers '41, Medal of Honor recipient

Dr. Arden Bement Jr. '59, current director of the National Science
Foundation

Jeff Ashby '76, NASA Astronaut

Dr. Patrice Burgess B.S.'85, M.S. '87, first woman president of the Idaho
Medical Association

Nancy Chaney M.S. '02, Mayor of the City of Moscow

David H. Bieter J.D. '87, Mayor of the City of Boise

One in four of the members of the 2007 Idaho State Legislature

Bill Sali J.D. '84, of Idaho's 1st District, who joins numerous other
alumni who have served in the U.S. House of Representatives

Jim Risch B.S. '65,  J.D.'68, Governor of Idaho 2006-08, current Lt.
Governor

Mike O'Callaghan '56, Governor of Nevada 1971-79

U.S. Senators James McClure B.S. '97, J.D. '50; Larry Craig '69; Steve
Symms '60; and Herman Welker '29

Dirk Kempthorne '76, former Idaho Governor and Senator,  current U.S.
Secretary of the Interior

W. Mark Felt '35, agent and Deputy Director of the U.S. Federal Bureau of
Investigation 1942-73

Terrel Howard Bell '54, U.S. Secretary of Education 1981-84

Gilbert Stromvall '54, former Inspector General of the GAO (now the
Government Accountability Office), Assistant U.S. Secretary of Energy 1977
79

Nancy Morris '83, first woman Secretary of the U.S. Securities and
Exchange Commission 2005-08

Dale Bosworth '66, Chief of the U.S. Forest Service 2001-07

----

And probably our earliest example of alumni prominence in government:

Burton French, class of 1901, a 13-term U.S. Congressman

I find this partial list of alumni who have gone on to high achievement in
the government sector to be remarkable and fascinating. Add to it two
examples of high-level federal posts held by former faculty - Ezra Taft
Benson, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture 1953-61 and William Perry, U.S.
Secretary of Defense 1994-97 - as well as the infinite contributions of
our current faculty and staff in Idaho communities and beyond, and our
legacy grows each day.

The achievements of the University of Idaho community, past and present,
serve to inspire our students today. Our graduates exemplify the impact
that an education grounded in leadership, service and engaged learning can
have on a community, our state and the greater world. We continue to
foster aspirations for leadership and service at all levels in our
students - whether in business, government, civic work or a specialized
career. Our ongoing commitment to a highly interactive, immersive
undergraduate and graduate education experience builds character,
confidence, and ultimately, greater careers and lives for our students.
Our legacy speaks for itself, but the most important work is occurring
today, as our hard-working faculty and staff build leaders for tomorrow.

Thank you for your continued advocacy of this great national
university.

Steven Daley-Laursen '79, '84
President

----

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho

The first Vandals home football game is tomorrow, Sept. 6, when the
University of Idaho takes on the Idaho State University Bengals. Gridiron
action starts at 2 p.m. Before kick off, football fans can
visit "Vandalville" located on the Kibbie Dome North Lawn. Food and
beverages for all ages will be available. For tickets and other Vandal
Athletics details, go to:

http://govandals.com/

The University of Idaho has received a grant to develop spacecraft
sterilization technologies for NASA's use during future missions to Mars.
Sterilization techniques currently in use are not effective for killing
certain microbial forms that have been observed in spacecraft assembly
facilities and on the surfaces of spacecraft. It is critical that new
technologies be developed that can kill highly resistant endospores
without damaging spacecraft components. NASA's Experimental Program to
Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR) awarded the University of Idaho a
three-year $630,765 grant to develop technology for sterilizing planetary
landers. The University of Idaho will match NASA's grant dollar-for-dollar
for a sum of just under $1.3 million. Ronald Crawford, director of the
Environmental Biotechnology Institute and distinguished professor of
microbiology, will lead the research.

Moscow is one of "Nine Great Places...," according to the current issue of
Mother Earth News. The magazine's yearly list showcases "top towns that
demonstrate civic energy and sustainability in action." Moscow is cited
for blending cultural activities and environmental action to create
abetter community. "Remarkable communities combine classic elements such
as climate, architecture, natural assets and civic energy in a way that
makes places healthy, safe and lively." The Moscow ArtWalk, the University
of Idaho's own Lionel Hampton International Jazz Festival and Moscow's
extensive bike trail system are highlighted.

http://www.moscow.id.us/PDF%20Documents/GreatPlacesArticle.pdf

The Procter and Gamble Company recently made an $80,000 gift to the
University of Idaho to support research in Professor Larry Forney's
laboratory within the Department of Biological Sciences. His work focuses
on the health impacts of microbial communities in the human female
reproductive tract. Procter and Gamble has given nearly $290,000 to the
university over the past four years supporting a post-doctoral scientist
and students working in Forney's lab.

For more information about giving to the College of Science, contact Eric
Bennett at (208) 885-9106 or ebennett at uidaho.edu.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3