[Vision2020] Credibility: Roger's and Mine (Correction!)

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue Sep 2 10:47:39 PDT 2008

Greetings:

I left out a crucial "not" in my response to Roger.  It should read
"the brain cells are not even connected, Roger!"  You can see for
yourself at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/fetalbrain.htm.

Nick Gier

At 10:09 AM 9/2/2008, you wrote:
>Nick
>You hinted at medical opinion at being a basis for when a a fetus
>becomes a person. You are on somewhat more solid ground there than
>you are with religion or legality. Killing the jews was legal under
>the Nazis and religion is oll over the place. You site 24 weeks a
>being the cutoff point. Is that set in stone.  Could it be 165 days
>170 days 168 days or 167 days, 12 hours 10 minutes and 37 seconds.
>Roger

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to
human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each
part by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole
and on the interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our
intellectual life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between
science, religion, and art. The whole is never equal simply to the
sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://www.home.roadrunner.com/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://www.roadrunner.com/~nickgier/ift.htm