[Vision2020] North Charleston Woman Uses Last Moments In Life to Vote

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Oct 30 16:58:09 PDT 2008

>From News 4 (Charleston, South Carolina) -

South Carolina Woman Votes For Obama In Final Moments
(Update w/Video)

This is going to be a short diary, and I know there have been several
stories like this over the last few days, including aaraujo's powerful
diary yesterday of the 109-year old daughter of a slave voting for Obama,
but this was another one that brought tears to my eyes.  At the rate I'm
going, I won't have any more tears to cry on Election Night!

Dora Fitzgerald was a 93-year old woman living in North Charleston, South
Carolina.  She was born in a time before women could vote, and certainly a
long time before it even looked possible for an African-American to ever
become President.

She wasn't passionate about politics, but she was about Barack Obama.

"She was very moved for Barack Obama’s passion for fixing things, and his
articulate way of delivering his message and she just decided she was
going to vote for him," said her daughter, M. Fitzgerald.

But she was 93 years old, and her health was declining.  But she wouldn't
go without completing some unfinished business:

"She said I don’t know if I’m going to live that long, but I plan on
sticking around to vote for him," said M. Fitzgerald.

Fearful that November was too long to wait, her daughter sent for an
absentee ballot. It arrived last week.

News video
http://tinyurl.com/6qsbrr

Seeya at the polls, Moscow.