[Vision2020] Candidate Apologizes For Sultry Robo Call

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 29 07:46:26 PDT 2008

Candidate Apologizes For Sultry Robo Call
About 100,000 Californians Receive Sultry Call

Listen to the Robocall:
http://www.cbs46.com/download/2008/1029/17827687.mp3

DAVIS, Calif. -- A California candidate for Congress is apologizing for robo calls that sounded more like a 1-900 number than a political message.

About 100,000 Northern California residents in the 1st Congressional District may have heard the sultry voice of a woman on the call, which urges listeners to vote for Republican Zane Starkewolf.

The woman on the phone urged voters to vote for Starkenwolf because "Mike Thompson's been a bad boy. We all said no to the bailout, but Thompson backed Bush, just like he did with the Patriot Act."

Starkewolf, a 27-year old University of California Davis alumnus and graduate student, stated on his Web site that, "I take the credit or the blame for the statement that went out today. The unpaid staffer who recorded and submitted the message may have been a little overly enthusiastic in the delivery, but I believe it is good to get enthusiasm back into politics."

He went on to write, "The message is there -- and what it says is that Mike Thompson went against the people of this district when he voted to pass and have us pay for the $700 billion bailout … This is simply appalling. And if a message needs to go out that is 'appalling' in a sense in order to get the discussion going, then I believe it is a worthy cause."

Thompson said in a statement that "Voters in the 1st District won't be swayed by this sophomoric and tasteless prank."

Seeya round town, Moscow.