[Vision2020] Diverse teachings

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 23:16:19 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 22:58, Matt Decker <mattd2107 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> With the upcoming election discussions about politics are at a fevered pace.
> We all know how emotions can come into the race, but of course try to
> restrain. I've recently talked to numerous students attending the U of I.
> These students have mentioned how some professors are telling if not
> demanding that they(the students) vote for certain individuals.

While I believe 100% that this is indeed what students are telling
you, I don't believe that the students are being entirely honest.
First, because professors aren't stupid, and they know the risk to
their continued employment that such an allegation carries.  Most
profs are erring on the side of caution.  Second, because with youth
comes a tendency to exaggerate, to make the story more juicy.
Sometimes this comes with middle and old age, as well, but it is
especially common amongst the young.  Third, because I am on campus
for nearly 12 hours a day, and I keep track of the scuttlebutt.
Students attach names to stories that are really provocative,
providing they have firsthand knowledge that it is true.  The only
whispers that I have heard have been of the friend-of-a-friend
variety, and even these were concerning unspecified TAs.

Just my 2 cents worth.